Chanel Makeup Haul + Review

Wednesday, December 14, 2011


Earlier in July this year, I blogged about purchasing some Chanel makeup products from their store in Marina Bay Sands but I haven't really done a haul post of them until now.

Its the big 'P' word, procrastination. Sometimes, I just have so much on my mind that I tend to forget about some posts that I have planned to do up initially.

Anyway, I walked into the Chanel store planning to get a liquid foundation because my Fancl one was running low and I was substituting foundation with BB Cream. But guess what I walked out with? 3 items in total - Makeup Base, Liquid Foundation and Loose Powder.



As if I needed another loose powder when I haven't finished using my Lancome and Integrate loose powder. But its justifiable because... the Chanel loose powder is so fine and sheer!

I have been reserving these Chanel makeup products for events or special occasions. It was only until recently that I have been using them regularly, almost on a daily basis so I thought I would share my thoughts on them.

Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base


Brightening effect: ★★★
Smoothing effect: ★★★★☆
Scent: ★★★★☆
Packaging: ★★★☆☆
Overall Rating: 3.5/5

My thoughts:

Prior to acquiring Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base, I have been using either Fancl Skin Care Base Liquid or Tony Moly Party Lover Silky Smooth Primer before applying liquid foundation.

The texture of Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base is somewhat in between that of Fancl Skin Care Base Liquid and Tony Moly Party Lover Silky Smooth Primer. It does what a primer and makeup base does - which is to smoothen out my skin as well as brighten my skin tone respectively.

Although it does contain fragrance, I must say that I like its rose scent as it smells so feminine. It makes me so happy each time I smell that when I'm putting on my makeup.

Overall, I think that this is a good product except that I don't really fancy the packaging that much. I wished it comes in a pump bottle because that would be so much more convenient, as the opening of the container is too big and its rather hard to control the amount of product that I need since I don't fancy using the spatula included to get product out from the bottle.

Repurchase: Yes

Chanel Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup


Coverage: ★★★★☆
Matt-look: ★★★★☆
Lasting-power: ★★★★☆
Scent: ★★★★☆
Easy-to-blend: ★★★★☆
Overall Rating: 4/5

Initially, I wanted to get a liquid foundation that make my skin look more dewy. But after trying both, I got Chanel Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup. I must say that I'm glad that I did because it keeps my face matt yet not flat all day except that I have to blot my nose once or twice.

In terms of coverage, it provides medium to high coverage. In fact, it has the highest coverage among the liquid foundations that I own from Lancome and Fancl.

I usually apply Chanel Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup by dabbing it on with my fingers before blending them with a wedge sponge. I think that by doing so, it helps to provide a flawless finish.

Tip #1:

I usually start by applying Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base and Chanel Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup at the sides of my nose and mouth before working on other part on my face. This helps to reduce redness.

Repurchase: Yes

Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder


Does not cake: ★★★★★
Matt-look: ★★★★☆
Lasting-power: ★★★★☆
Ability to set make up: ★★★★★
Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder is a very sheer powder that helps to set my makeup and mattify my skin. I love the fact that it does not compete with my foundation like how some loose powder does. The powder is also very fine.

I usually apply Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder with a large powder brush using the side of the brush and press the powder onto my face. I think that by doing so, it helps to set my makeup better and make it longer-lasting. In fact, this is the best loose powder in terms of its shade that I have used till date, compared to my Lancome Loose Powder (which is a little too pink for my skintone) and Integrate Loose Powder (which is a little too yellowish for my skintone). But you know what? I usually mix my Lancome Loose Powder and Integrate Loose Powder together so that it looks more neutral.

Tip #2:

If you have two Loose Powders that don't suit your skintone (either too light or too dark/too pink or yellow), try combining the both of them in the ratio of 1:1 to get a more neutral color that suits your skintone.

Repurchase: Yes

I have always wanted to try Chanel base makeup and I am glad that I did! Previously, I was using Fancl and Lancome base makeup. While I love Chanel base makeup products, I must say that its really pricey (it cost me about $200+ in total), especially at the point of time when I purchased it as I was still a student then and I wasn't working.

As for Fancl base makeup products, I think that they are rather good value for money but I dislike the fact that I have to finish using the products within the 30 days freshness period.

Lancome base makeup products are not too bad either. They provide very good coverage like Chanel, the only grip that I have about Lancome base makeup products is that the foundation that I was matched to had pink undertones. While it made me looked more radiant, it made my face and neck look like they don't match each other.

I really love base makeup products (makeup base, primer, liquid foundation, loose powder) but I seldom purchase them off drugstores shelves simply because I'm afraid that I will pick out the wrong shade. I don't mind 2-way cake or powders because they usually have a few shades but for liquid foundations, there are way too many shades available and its confusing.

Do you girls have any liquid foundations that you swear by or would love to try? Do share with me by commenting on this post be it whether its a drugstore brand or departmental store brand.

I hope you like this post. Thanks for reading!

Love,
Patricia

Disclaimer: I bought all of the products featured above with my own money.

To be notified of the latest beauty news, launches or events, follow me on or like SweetestSins on

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats

Like us on Facebook